Worrying is a grave problem in society today and mostly everyone from kids to teenager to adults are effected by it. While at certain times, worrying is acceptable, it shouldn’t be something that has taken over your life and put a damp on your future. If it is, then here are 10 great ways to stop worrying so much.
1. Future isn’t here and the past is gone – As much as we’d like to think otherwise, it’s true. The future isn’t here yet and the past has already gone, so it makes no sense to spend a significant amount of time dwelling and worrying on either one. Rather we should just utilize each to our benefit and learn from the past and hope for the future. It’s highly imperative that we view the future as bright and fill it with hope rather than worry, because eventually all your future will be filled with is just worrying. So realize that we shouldn’t worry about what we can’t control, and right now we can’t control the past or the future, all we can control is the present.
2. Added Stress – This is why worrying so much is a terrible habit. On top of all the tasks, errands and other problems life has already thrown at you, now you want to add to the pile by worrying about it. Worrying has never gotten anything done before and there’s no reason to think that trend will change. All worrying does is create added stress which none of us could really use in our lives.
3. Takes away from present – As I reiterated before, worrying puts too much emphasis on the past and future and takes away what really matters: the present. Right now, this very moment is all you can control and it is really all that should matter to you. You can only be happy right now, that is if you so choose to. The present is where life is and worrying about something that doesn’t have to do with the present takes away precious moments of your life.
4. Has no benefits – It really doesn’t. It has been proven that worrying only adds negative factors to our lives such as fear, terror and fright. People who lack the mental strength to not let external factors of life get to them are the ones that are most worried. They allow simple comments made by others to effect them negatively instead of just seeing it as what it is: a comment. Worrying doesn’t solve problems, it only adds them.
5. Someone else isn’t worrying – Right now, as your spending you valuable time worrying about things you can’t control, someone else is living their life to the fullest. They’re not troubled with the past or worried about the future. They’re only concerned about the present and making sure they’re staying happy and doing great things. If other factors aren’t helping you stop worrying, then maybe you can use this as motivation. The other person is spending time living and your spending your time worrying. It’s probably something you might want to change.
6. Tomorrow isn’t guaranteed – The future is probably the greatest cause for concern for us. I used to be one of them, always concerned and worried about the future and whether or not I would reach my goals and make those around me proud. It used to haunt me every single day of my life. Then I had an epiphany one day of why I was so concerned with the future, and I realized that how can I even think about what’s going to happen years from now when tomorrow isn’t even guaranteed? Life could end any second and there is no guarantee the future will even be here. This is not to tell you to see life in a pessimistic manner and think that the world will be ending soon, it’s just a self-realization thought that you should probably consider.
7. When one door closes, another opens – They say opportunity only knocks once in life. Folks, nothing could be further from the truth. There is opportunity everywhere and everyday. There are inventions needed to be discovered, companies to be built, buildings to be made, people to heal and countless other things. There is so much opportunity around us that there is no way we should be worried that our future is uncertain. If you can just give yourself the confidence that no matter what happens, you’ll do something worth wile in your life, then I guarantee you that you probably will. Always remember, that when one door closes, another opens.
8. Welcome the unexpected – All worrying arises when things don’t go according to plan. Well there’s a solution to this seemingly never ending problem. Always welcome the unexpected. This is not to say that you shouldn’t stick to you initial plan, but just a recommendation that you should consider and be ready when something might change or be tinkered with. Obviously perfection is not possible so we must always compromise and make imperfection our form of perfection.
9. Let your thoughts pass – Whenever I feel overwhelmed with life and all my responsibilities, I just find a nice quiet place to lay and relax. I let all my worries come to me at that moment and slowly one by one let them pass, until all my thoughts have passed and I have dealt with everything going on with my life in these few minutes. This is not to say it’ll solve all your worries but it will help you tackle each one of them with a clear mind.10. You’ve done this before - You worry and say you can’t do this or you can’t do that, when in reality, this should seemingly be second nature to you. This obviously isn’t the first time you were worried about something but yet you’ve made it this far. You’ve survived every difficult task thrown your way when you thought you weren’t going to be able to complete it. Tell yourself you’ve done this before and this new problem is nothing but a new task you can add to your already quite large list of things I’ve already done before.